Friday, September 3, 2010

In need of reservations??

I always thought that reservations for women always got the wrong attention.Reservations are meant for women empowerment.Empowerment Indeed????

I'm in particular talking about the situation in places which are not metropolis,for instance ,when I travel in buses,I find that the rule that there should be 25% reservation in seating for women in any public transport system has been so flexibly manipulated,that today women are found seated only in those 25% seats.Now,is that what the reservation was meant for?Two weeks back,when  I was on my way to the city in a bus,I was enjoying the feeling of standing on my own feet that day (pun intended!).And apparently it was August 15,2010.Independence day for us,Indians.And two fellow citizens,rather well built and young,were snoring in the ladies seat.And as I was dancing with the wind,inside the bus which in turn was toddling through the many pits on NH 47,an elderly lady,rather well dressed for her age,boarded  the bus.The eventful ride had woken up my young friends in the ladies seat.They saw the the motherly lady,but would not budge!!!In such circumstances I get this urge to tell even strangers what I feel,but would stop myself from breaking the many taboos similar young people have set up for us -women in particular!!

I was surprised by this one incident,because as my mind started ridiculing the indifference to that elderly lady,she started talking for herself.She asked them politely to make space for her.Young people!!They just don't hear sometimes:times like that!Little did they realise,that they had lots to hear!!She apparently happened to be a known personality who ran  a woman's welfare association and held a respectable position in the society (I wonder how such people used public transport,though I appreciate it).She asked the bus conducter to make arrangements for her to sit,and told that atleast on Indapendence day,the youth should be sensitive to the nation's rules,its culture etc,to start with.


Women Empowerment!!!I would rather suggest no reservations.Why do we need reservations?Reservations are the reasons why women are considered unequal today.(i repeat,Today).If we were given equal rights,equal importance,there is no need for empowerment,no need for reservations.Why do we need them after all?We are not subordinates to any one,that we need to uplift our place in society.All that needs upliftment is the morale,of the citizens,of the nation.And confidence of the respective people who are given reservations.Reserve integrity and respect for them,no seats in buses,in politics,nothing!We don't need reservations to make our presence felt!!!!

2 comments:

  1. IS THIS 1974

    Hey this is the new era....only the fittest survives...venamengil jeevichal mathi...aarkum nirbandham illa....

    Who told u ladies are backward in this society...if at all she is backward its only because she moves back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never told its 1974..still..whatever happens,even today girls do not speak out,do not fight for their rights.Isn't that more important than reservations that are given to us..N yes you are absolutely right,my plea is to the girls only.Do not shy away from fighting for what is yours..there is nothing like you have to look away when someone stares at you:)

    ReplyDelete